We have an opportunity for a designer to help create world-class trail-to-table apparel for our Royal Robbins users! The Women’s Designer reports to the Senior Director of Product and supports the Product Team in accordance with the company objectives and values. They will create and design a cohesive women’s collection that embodies the Royal Robbins branding vision and will collaborates with cross functional team members and global partners to bring the line to market. A strong ability to work closely with the Product Team and cross functional partners, both domestically and overseas, will be important to your success. The Women’s Designer should display strong attention to detail and will enhance the quality of the brand with designs that incorporate new aesthetics, performance, technologies and trends while protecting brand integrity and maintaining gross margin objectives.
This is a hybrid in-office/remote role based out of San Francisco. At this time, the Women’s Designer is expected to be in the office at least two days per week.
What we offer:
- A stimulating work environment with passionate, enthusiastic co-workers
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth that will elevate your career
- A company that treasures sustainability and acts in creating future stewards of nature
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Critical Illness, Accident
- 401k with generous company match
- Financial wellness program, including access to financial coaching and loans
- Company Paid holidays
- Industry discounts and more…
What you will do:
- Research trends through online sources, magazines, market research, trend services, inspirational shopping, and trade shows.
- Work closely with Men’s Designer & Assistant Designer to create concept boards for color, print & plaid, and trend direction by classification each season, twice a year
- Present at Concept Meetings bi-annually.
- Partner with Men’s Designer to formulate a strong Women’s color palette seasonally
- Collaborate with the Global Sourcing & Production Team, Merchandising, Product Development Manager, and Senior Director of Product to develop new fabrics and trims each season, including the consideration of environmentally important developments that embody the Royal Robbins aesthetic
- Design a seasonally cohesive Women’s collection around coherent themes that ensures the brands identity while working within the line plan requirements and cost targets; Present the collection bi-annually to leadership team, demonstrating a clear point-of-view
- Illustrate all silhouettes using AI, in addition to creating detail & construction sketches for clear understanding by the factories. Create and maintain accurate BOM’s and partner closely with Technical Development to ensure a concise complete technical package to initiate the sample process.
- Select and prepare print and woven textiles, including creating millsheets and communicating art direction to the mills. This is achieved by utilizing Adobe creative suite and Aquario Software. There is an opportunity to create original artwork for Women’s graphic t-shirts.
- Participate in fittings with both the Senior Director of Product and Tech Design to ensure the integrity of the fit and design of each garment every season. Update sketches and BOMs as needed post-fittings to ensure clear understanding by all parties.
- Communicate regularly with overseas and regional partners, closely collaborating with Sales and Material teams as well as Merchandising to create the strongest product suitable for the Royal Robbins customer
- Work closely with Marketing to ensure the product is best represented in all marketing. Participate at seasonal Sales Meetings, present the Women’s Collection with the assistance of the product team.
- There may be additional opportunities to work on other product lines, such as accessories and undergarments.
- Track and manage workflow and ensure all deadlines are met.
- Travel internationally to work with factories to develop accurate samples for Sales Meetings and develop strong relationships with our key partners. Additional International and domestic travel required for trade shows and Sales meetings.
Who you are:
- You have been a professional in the apparel industry for at least five years
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in an apparel-related field, or equivalent work experience
- You can curate and edit a product line, including a strong eye for outdoor products and accessories
- You are well-organized and trouble-shoot problems by finding positive solutions
- Attention to detail and efficiency are your strong suits!
- You effectively manage priorities, anticipate demands, communicate with others, and work with a high level of operational transparency and accountability
- You regularly meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- You have in-depth knowledge of silhouettes, fabric (including print and creation), colors, trims, sewing techniques, costing, and have experience in fittings.
- You build and foster strong relationships with both internal and external partners
- You communicate excellently in both written and spoken word, including effectively presenting your ideas and designs to groups of all sizes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, influence and find solutions and minimize spin. Able to communicate across language barriers.
- You are comfortable with Adobe Suite, especially Illustrator and Photoshop
- You are passionate about the outdoors and have a great sense of adventure!
- You have prior experience in outdoor apparel
- You are familiar with Aquario and Clo3D
- You have experience in Centric PLM or similar, and a strong grasp of Excel and PowerPoint
About Royal Robbins®
Founded in 1968 by world-renowned climbers Royal and Liz Robbins, Royal Robbins is a leading designer, manufacturer and retailer of outdoor apparel. The brand has gained worldwide recognition for its high-quality clothing and commitment to environmental and social responsibility. It has built a reputation of integrating the technical features of adventurers seeking performance-oriented garments, but with the style and comfort to cross over into everyday life. Royal Robbins’ collection of men’s and women’s products can be found in outdoor and specialty retail partners throughout the U.S. and abroad. To learn more, please visit www.royalrobbins.com.
Royal Robbins celebrates diversity and is committed to continually striving to create and grow a diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees. We provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We aim to facilitate a safe, fair, and kind work environment where all feel welcome and can thrive.
HOW TO APPLY
If you could be our next Women’s Designer, please apply through our career page now! Applications are processed on an ongoing basis and the position can be filled prior to closing. We look forward to reading your application!