About Royal Robbins®
Founded in 1968 by world-renowned climbers Royal and Liz Robbins, Royal Robbins is a leading designer, manufacturer and retailer of outdoor apparel. The brand has gained worldwide recognition for its high-quality clothing and commitment to environmental and social responsibility. It has built a reputation of integrating the technical features of adventurers seeking performance-oriented garments, but with the style and comfort to cross over into everyday life. Royal Robbins’ collection of men’s and women’s products can be found in outdoor and specialty retail partners throughout the U.S. and abroad. To learn more, please visit www.royalrobbins.com.
The Men’s Designer reports to the Senior Director of Product and supports the Product Team in accordance with the company objectives and values. Creates and designs a cohesive men’s collection that embodies the Royal Robbins branding vision. Collaborates with cross functional team members and global partners to bring the line to market. Strong ability to work closely with the Product Team and cross functional partners, both domestically and overseas. Men’s Designer should display strong attention to detail and will enhance the quality of the brand with designs that incorporate new aesthetics, performance, technologies and trends that work with our branding vision, protecting brand integrity and maintaining gross margin objectives.
- Research trends by way of online, magazines, market research, trend services, inspirational shopping and trade shows. Works closely with Women’s Designer & Asst Designer to create concept boards for color, print & plaid, and trend direction by classification each season, twice a year. Presents at Concept Meetings bi-annually.
- Partners with Women’s Designer to formulate a strong Men’s color palette seasonally.
- Collaborate with the Production & Sourcing Team, Merchandising and Senior Director of Product to develop new fabrics and trims each season, including the consideration of environmentally important developments that embody the Royal Robbins aesthetic.
- Accountable for designing a seasonally cohesive Men’s collection around coherent themes that ensures the brands identity while working within the line plan requirements and cost targets. Presents collection bi-annually to leadership team, demonstrating a clear point-of-view.
- Illustrate all silhouettes using AI, in addition to creating detail & construction sketches for clear understanding by the factories. Create and maintain accurate BOM’s and partner closely with Technical Development to ensure a concise complete technical package to initiate the sample process.
- Selection and preparation of print and woven textiles, this includes creating millsheets and communicating art direction to the mills. This is achieved by utilizing Adobe creative suite and Aquario Software. Create original artwork for Men’s graphic t-shirts.
- Participate in fittings with both the Senior Director of Product and Tech Design to ensure the integrity of the fit and design of each garment every season. Update sketches and BOMs as needed post fittings to ensure clear understanding by all parties.
- Communicate regularly with overseas and regional partners, closely collaborating with Sales, Production & Sourcing teams, as well as Merchandising to create the strongest product suitable for the Royal Robbins customer.
- Work closely with Marketing to ensure the product is best represented in all marketing. Participate at seasonal Sales Meetings, present the Men’s Collection with the assistance of the product team.
- Additional opportunities to work on other product lines, such as accessories and undergarments.
- Track and manage workflow and ensure all deadlines are met.
- Travel (during non-covid times) internationally to work with factories to develop accurate samples for Sales Meetings and develop strong relationships with our key partners. Additional International and domestic travel required for trade shows and Sales meetings.
- 5+ years of related professional experience in the apparel industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree in apparel or related field. Equivalent work experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Ability to curate and edit a product line. Strong eye for Men’s outdoor product and accessories.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to trouble shoot problems and come to an agreeable and positive solution. Not afraid to seek counsel if needed to resolve.
- Attention to detail and efficiency are essential.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities, anticipate demands, communicate status appropriately, and maintain a high level of operational transparency and accountability.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment with the ability to meet deadlines.
- In-depth knowledge of silhouettes, fabric (including print and creation), color, trims, sewing techniques, costing and experience in fittings.
- Ability to build and foster strong relationships with Tech Design, Production & Sourcing, Marketing, Sales, Customer Service and external partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, influence and find solutions and minimize spin. Able to communicate across language barriers.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and design direction to groups that range from 5-50 audience members.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite, specifically Illustrator and Photoshop. Knowledge of Aquario and Clo3D a plus but can also be trained.
- Experience in Centric PLM or similar system a bonus, along with a good understanding of excel, and power point.
Nice To Have:
- A passion for the outdoors and adventure.
- Experience working with Outdoor Apparel product.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, generous PTO accrual and Holiday schedule.