Technical Design Manager
Product Design & Development · HQ - San Francisco, CA
About Royal Robbins®
Founded in 1968 by world-renowned climbers Royal and Liz Robbins, Royal Robbins is a leading designer, manufacturer and retailer of outdoor apparel. The brand has gained worldwide recognition for its high-quality clothing and commitment to environmental and social responsibility. It has built a reputation of integrating technical features for adventurers seeking performance-oriented garments, but with the style and comfort to cross over into everyday life. Royal Robbins’ collection of men’s and women’s products can be found in outdoor and specialty retail partners throughout the U.S. and abroad. To learn more, please visit www.royalrobbins.com.
TECHNICAL DESIGN MANAGER, (FT)
The Technical Design Manger leads, manages and supports the Technical Design Team in accordance with company objectives and values. Collaborates with cross functional team members and global partners in both creative product development as well as full production execution. Ability to execute design and fit intent while upholding construction standards, protecting brand integrity and maintaining gross margin objectives.
- Manage and develop Technical Design Team. Oversee multiple apparel and accessory categories from design concept/first proto to bulk production.
- Establishes clear goals, development and objectives for team and holds self and team accountable for outcomes. Track and manage work flow, ensures deadlines are met and prioritizes workload for self and team.
- Manage and evolve the Technical Design strategy; processes, libraries, operations and methods.
- Develop, implement and maintain category quality, construction standards and fit blocks.
- Leverage technical knowledge and makes recommendations to cross-functional partners to resolve potential production and cost issues whilst maintaining brand integrity, design and fit intent.
- Evaluates seasonal workload and allocate product load in accordance with seasonal shifts and team member expertise.
- Communicate with production/agents/vendors to troubleshoot, educate and understand factory capabilities. Travel internationally to oversea’s sourcing office and/or factories up to twice a year (once able to do so).
- Leads seasonal hindsight, grade rule/construction standard and overall ways of working. Regularly reviews to integrate continuous improvement leading to greater efficiency, product upgrades and enhanced working relationships.
- Manages fit model process that will include budget, and overall assessment of model(s) meeting the expectation for fit to ensure fit consistency.
- Personally manage a number of styles each season from initial concept to production. Effectively communicate fit intent, construction and workmanship issues to the vendors.
- Ensure departmental, seasonal and brand deadlines are met. Seize opportunities to lead special project initiatives.
- Education in a relevant field (ie: Pattern Making, Fashion Design, Textiles etc..) combined with 8-10 years of technical design experience in the apparel industry.
- Proven ability to successfully lead, manage, coach, mentor and develop direct reports.
- Expert in fit, pattern making and fit construction.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities, anticipate demands, communicate status appropriately, and maintain a high level of operational transparency and accountability.
- Experience working with oversea’s factories, have an understanding of production timelines, costing and QA processes.
- Expert knowledge of patternmaking, garment fit, garment construction and garment engineering for all key categories.
- Fabric and trim construction knowledge as it applies to garment fit and construction.
- Able to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment with the ability to meet deadlines, in addition to being capable of adapting quickly to change.
- Ability to build and foster strong relationships with Design, Merchandising, Sourcing, QA, Marketing, Sales, Customer Service and external partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate across language barriers, influence and find solutions and minimize spin.
- In depth knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop and PLM system(s).
- Problem solving abilities and attention to detail and efficiency are essential.
- A passion for the outdoors, adventure, and sustainable products.
- Experience working in the Outdoor Industry.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, generous PTO accrual and Holiday schedule.